Therapeutic soft tissue manipulation or massage involves manipulating the soft tissues of the body to prevent and alleviate pain, discomfort, muscle spasm, and stress. Muscle knots, or trigger points, can cause swelling and stiffness and can cause pain in the involved muscle, or can refer pain to distal areas. Trigger point therapy is used with or without massage therapy in order to eliminate the pain. Therapeutic massage and trigger point therapy are included as part of your overall chiropractic treatment plan.
Soft tissue manipulation, massage and trigger point therapy :
- Alleviates headache-associated pain.
- Helps improve your ability to walk with a normal and balanced gait.
- Helps lower your blood pressure.
- Improves your breathing as a result of a more relaxed diaphragm.
- Improves your range of motion, muscle tone, and flexibility.
- Increases your blood flow, which aids in the healing process and allows muscles to work more efficiently.
- Reduces stiffness, pain and muscle tension.
- Stimulates the body to release helpful chemicals such as endorphins.
Soft tissue treatment has been shown to be an effective treatment for a wide variety of health problems, including:
- Sleep apnea and insomnia.
- Range of motion.
- Pain (chronic and temporary).
- Myofascial pain. (trigger points)
- Jaw disorders.
- Injuries such as pulled or strained muscles and ligaments.
- Digestive disorders, including spastic colon and constipation.
- Circulatory problems.
- Carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Asthma and bronchitis.